Wednesday 1 March 2017

cutting the string

My work on this week's Diva tile - in which we were invited to Duotangle with Molygon and Marasu - was strange from start to finish.

Firstly I selected a pre-coloured tile from my Leftovers stack.  I immediately found it rather unappealing, but decided to stick with what I'd picked.

I then had a 'clever' idea of making it so the Molygon looked cut out with the Marasu viewed through the holes.  Which seemed better in my imagination than it looked on paper! 

Then I thought that lots of black ink might come to the rescue...  and I selected a sky blue pen that I rarely use...

... and well, who knows.  It's an odd one, not one of my favourites, but it is what it is.


But the strangest thing occurred only once I stepped back from it.  When I'm not tangling I write, and much of what I write about involves memory.  My mind is a kite - dancing this way and that in the sky, sometimes in cloud, sometimes in the clear blue.  But when I'm not actively thinking, actively remembering - when I'm doing something that shifts my mind in a different way - like tangling does - it's like the kite string has been cut.  I drift to wildly unexpected places.  When I looked at the tile I got a sudden flash of a perfume my mother used when I was a child - not the smell but the packaging.   I hadn't thought of it in years, but a quick Google and there it was - an almost exact replica of the striping on my Marasu.  How weird and wonderful!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Jem, that is really cool! I love how you developed this...or perhaps even better, the journey it took you on;-) The black-out effect is really striking. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the black out effect and what a cool memory to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it fun to get a tile that almost looks like someone else did it? There must have been a reason, like that memory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love this tile, it's different, unexpected and beautiful. The perfume brought back memories to me too. Many years ago I bought it on a boat from Denmark to Germany, I loved the smell. A few years ago I saw it in a shop and smelled ..... I really disliked it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rive Gauche, you can still buy it too and it still has that fresh pretty fragrance. Thank you for reminding me of one I used to love to wear. I think your tile with colour works really well. There is depth and the idea of looking through one to the other is clever and effective. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really cool! Love the cut out look of Molygon and the triangle shaped Marasu!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so unique! I love that your marasu reaches outside it's molygon frame, and I just LOVE that triangular marasu! the colors are wonderful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome remembrance... I love how it tied into the colors of your tile. Fantastic! It was a clever take on the challenge. Very lovely and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful composition and color!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous concept! Thank you for the inspiration! What a magnificent heartfelt tribute to your mom, even if you didn't realize it till after! Beautiful blue!

    ReplyDelete